The Wizarding World is teeming with all kinds of magical creatures, and in Hogwarts Legacy, you’ll find plenty of them. Eventually, you’ll unlock a means of taming those that are found in the wild. Here’s our Hogwarts Legacy Beasts guide to help you capture animals for your Vivarium in the Room of Requirement.
Quest requirements to unlock the Vivarium
The Vivarium and Beast capture mechanic in Hogwarts Legacy becomes available mid-campaign. After finishing a main quest called The Trial of Percival Rackhamsome more will appear:
- The Helm of Urtkot – This takes you to a tomb where you need to solve the moth/butterfly door puzzles.
- The Caretaker’s Lunar Lament – This grants you the Alohomora spell so you can unlock doors and chests. Likewise, it leads to a side quest where you must collect Seminviso Moons to upgrade Alohomora.
- Beast Class – This is the first time you will watch this class. Here, you’ll learn about petting and feeding magical creatures.
Once you’ve done the above, you should receive a main quest called The Elf, the Nab-Sack and the Loom. This is the part where you learn how to capture Beasts in Hogwarts Legacy.
The Elf, the Nab-Sack and the Tear
Deek the house-elf will show you the ropes, providing you with a spell called Nab-Sack. Here’s the gist:
- Think of the Nab-Sack as similar to the Proton Pack from Ghostbusters. You approach a creature and fire a ray that pulls it into the Nab-Sack. And, no, it doesn’t work with ghosts in Hogwarts Castle (that would be wrong on so many levels).
- To make things easier, you’ll want to enable stealth with Disillusionment. This prevents animals from detecting your approach.
- Once you’re close enough to an animal, you can use another spell to temporarily immobilize it.
- Levioso lifts a target and suspends it in the air for a few seconds.
- Arresto Momentum will stop and slow them down.
- Glacius, however, tends to be one of the better options. This will freeze your target and cause them to fall over, with an animation that lasts for several seconds.
- After casting your Nab-Sack spell, a button prompt will appear, so be sure to press it. Several pips represent how many times you need to successfully press the button.
- The animals will run and run away, so you’ll have to chase them, cast an immobilizer spell, and use the Nab-Sack one more time. If you take too long, the pips will be depleted and you will have to start over.
- There are cases when animals are very scared and run away or fly away. Simply fast travel back and forth to make them respawn.
Dens of the Beasts
The Elf, Nab-Sack and Loom quest only lets you deal with domestic animals like Puffskein, Jobberknoll and Mooncalf. However, there are more Beasts you can capture in Hogwarts Legacy. If you check the map, you will see animal paw icons representing the Beast Dens of different species. This includes rarer creatures like the Unicorn and Hippogriff.
Upon completing your initial objectives, head back to the Room of Requirement. That’s when you unlock the Vivarium in the Hogwarts Legacy, a sanctuary for all the Beasts you’ve captured.
You can release your captured animals here, but there are a few caveats:
- Each Animal House holds up to 12 Beasts.
- You are limited to four different species.
- That means you can have 11 Puffskeins and 1 Hippogriff. Alternatively, if you have 1 Puffskein, 1 Jobberknoll, 1 Mooncalf, and 1 Hippogriff, you cannot add another creature of a different species.
caress and feed
Now that you have a vivarium in the Hogwarts Legacy, you will be able to pet and feed animals (similar to what you did during the Beast Class quest). Use your brush and give treats. This will make them leave.
excrement materials that can be used for equipment upgrades and traits/perks.
Here are some additional details:
- The materials themselves can be purchased from the Brood and Peck shop in the northeast corner of Hogsmeade. This can save you some time if you haven’t found some creatures yet.
- It is also possible to purchase the Beast Feeder and Beast Toybox blueprints from the Tomes and Scrolls shop in the southern part of Hogsmeade. You can build these structures in the Vivarium by casting the Evanesco spell.
- A little later in the game, you will receive a quest that allows you to raise animals so that they can have children.
- Additionally, further progression in the Hogwarts Legacy Beast Capture and Taming arc unlocks additional Vivarium biomes.
Hogwarts Legacy is developed by Avalanche Software, a subsidiary of Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. The game has been mired in controversy due to transphobic comments by Harry Potter author JK Rowling. Although she is not personally involved with its development, she can profit from its success. To find out more, read our in-depth article on how Rowling’s comments impacted the trans community. In this article, you’ll also find links to trans creators you can support, as well as charities you can donate to.
The products discussed here were independently chosen by our editors. GameSpot may earn a share of the revenue if you purchase anything featured on our site.